Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Mana from heaven

I finally made it to the SANZA store in Convent Garden last week. SANZA stands for South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. This is a little slice of antipodean heaven in London, selling all manner of foodstuff and memorabilia from home.

I managed to secure an enormous jar of Marmite. My toast tastes so much better. I also grabbed a few treats for Garry including Double-coated Tim Tams and Arnotts Pizza-flavour Shapes. I saw L&P from New Zealand, along with plenty of stuffed kiwis and All Black jumpers. With such a large expat population in London this store struck me as a licence to print money. My jar of Marmite set me back £5.



Beyond SANZA, there are some home pleasures freely available. Every supermarket is stocked to the rafters with a broad range of great Australian wine, and there's plenty of New Zealand wine also going begging. There is one simple pleasure from Down Under that Garry and I really miss. We've yet to find anyone selling Turkish pide bread in London.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the difference between Australian Marmite and British Marmite? I thought you lot all liked Vegemite instead?

Swatch said...

You wear your ignorance well young man. Marmite is a New Zealand delicacy. The British imitation of Marmite is more like an Australian product called Promite. And for the record, I hate Vegemite.

Anonymous said...

I didnt realize Marmite was a NZ product, we have it here too. You'll have to put an order in for when you visit so you can have some thing you can't get in England.